Driving Safety Course
Driving Safety Course (DSC)
You are not eligible if your violation is for:
- Speeding 95 miles per hour or more or 25 miles per hour or more over the posted speed limit.
- Passing a school bus.
- Failure to render aid/Leaving the scene of a collision.
- A violation occurred in a construction zone where workers were present.
You are eligible to take a driving safety course if you have not taken the course in the last 12 months from your violation date and you submit ALL of the below requirements on or before your appearance date located at the bottom of your citation:
- Your request for a driving safety course includes your plea of either guilty or no contest.
- Payment of the court costs in the amount of $144.00 or, if your violation occurred in a school zone, $169.00.
- A copy of your valid, non-CDL, Texas driver’s license or, if you are a member, spouse, or dependent child of an active member of the US Military Forces, a valid driver’s license issued by another State and a copy of military id.
- A copy of your valid insurance listing you as a driver on the policy.
- Complete a driving safety course approved by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) and submit the COURT COPY of the certificate of completion to the Court.
- Submit a copy of TYPE 3 or 3A driving record as maintained by the Texas Department of Public Safety.
- Submit an affidavit that states that you have not taken a driving safety course for the dismissal of a citation in the last 12 months preceding your violation date. (Will be included in the DSC packet mailed by the court)
- Photo ID
- Proof of insurance listing you as a driver on the policy
- Signature (on handwritten request or attached plea portion of citation)
- Current phone number
- Current mailing address