Do I need a permit?
Obtaining building permits allows legal permission to start construction and allows for the enforcement of codes which have been adopted as law by the state, county, and city. No matter what the specific job may be, the enforcement of our codes is carried out to protect the public health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of Garden Ridge. In addition, obtaining permits ensure oversight and protect the investment you have in your home or business. An application should be made and a permit obtained prior to the start of any construction. Although this list is as comprehensive as possible, it is not intended, and should not be considered, to be all inclusive. If you have a question as to whether or not a permit is required, please call the Building Inspection Department at (210) 651-6632.
Contruction work reguiring permits in the City of Garden Ridge.
- New Commercial Buildings
- New Commercial Additions
- New (open) Storage Buildings
- Addition to Plumbing
- Addition to HVAC
- Addition to Electric
- New House/Residence
- New Residence Addition
- Additions to pavement surface
- Dog Kennels (fixed)
- Dog Run
- Fire pit
- Installation of Sprinkler System
- Landscape Walls over two feet from ground level
- Replace of HVAC
- Replacement of Water Heater (Application at City Hall only)
- Retaining Walls
- Spa/Hot Tub
- Swimming Pools *
- Wooden deck
* In drought conditions you must fill or refill pool with water from an outside water source. (Ordinance 61)
Work not requiring permits
- Counter tops
- General remodel except when it involves structure, addition of electric wire, plumbing pipe or addition of AC duct.
- Replacement of electrical fixtures
- Replacement of plumbing fixtures